Soaper's Crafts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I could use some help with formulating...

4 posters

Go down

I could use some help with formulating... Empty I could use some help with formulating...

Post by riaan Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 am

I want to do a really gentle soap a colleague and her baby... Milk will be used as liquid for the lye solution...

But I was wondering what to use for the oils...

I was thinking:

Castor oil - 10%
Palm Oil - 15%
Safflower oil - 10%
lard (not sure about this) - 15%
Olive - 50%

I was thinking of adding also just a touch of Jojoba and Anhydrous Lanolin to the soap... these are hardly saponifiable and should remain in the soap as extra conditioning...

soapcalc hardness is 23
conditioning 75
Bubbly lather 9 (from castor)
creamy lather 32
and iodine number = 77 (this worries me as it is above 70)

with 50% olive I am not worried too much about the hardness... water discount could also help harden it up faster...
I don't usually go over 70 iodine... I am worried about DOS here... what are your thoughts guys...?

I can rework the recipe... Question
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

I could use some help with formulating... Empty Re: I could use some help with formulating...

Post by Saltysteele Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:21 am

i made a recipe by lindy (the OMH), and that is a really gentle bar. being majorly olive oil, though, it takes quite a bit longer to harden up. it probably took 10-12 weeks to be acceptably hard. being that you're making it for a mother with her milk, i don't think she's going to be too worried about it being done soon enough, she'll most likely be patient enough for it Smile
Saltysteele
Saltysteele

Back to top Go down

I could use some help with formulating... Empty Re: I could use some help with formulating...

Post by Kellie Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:02 pm

A bastile with milk is a very mild soap.
Kellie
Kellie

http://www.forgetmenotsoapshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks Kellie... I am thinking of a high olive oil soap... I am puzzled though... I am looking at a Lavender Calendula baby soap recipe on MMS website and even though it looks like a good soap recipe it has CO and Palm kernel in it... looks like a normal soap recipe... cleansing on soapcalc of 17 because of the CO and PKO I think... I was thinking of going it without CO and thats why I am a little puzzled by this...

what would you say to using CO in a soap formulated for babies... small children...? I was going to axe the CO for sure...
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Saltysteele Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:45 pm

i know you're asking kellie, but i wouldn't have a problem using CO in soap for a baby, so long as you kept it reasonable, and especially in a mild soap like a bastille.

just my opinion, though. Kellie is much more experienced than I (I developed my recipe with her, and a couple others back at SMF)
Saltysteele
Saltysteele

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:12 pm

hehe... no probs bret... I was throwing the question out there for all... I'm happy you answered that... I know some people say they are sensitive to CO and thats why I thought originally to keep it out of the recipe... but to be honest... I just plugged 5% into the same recipe and the numbers popped right where I wanted them to be...

I am looking at:

Olive - 50%
Palm - 25%
Castor Oil - 15%
Coconut oil - 5%
Cacao butter - 5%

Cleansing value ala soapcalc of 4 and conditioning 70, hardness 28 but harder with the high olive oil % I'm sure...
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Saltysteele Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:19 pm

to me, olive oil tends to be one of those oils that, in soap, leaves "more behind," if you know what i mean? it feels like your skin has more oil in, than before it was washed (not in a dirty-feeling kind of way).
Saltysteele
Saltysteele

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellie Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:40 pm

I agree Bret, it seems to leave your skin nourished.

I checked it out on SM3 ( hope you don't mind) it will be a nice hard bar, with a great stable lather and be very very moisturizing. The only # that is lacking is bubbles, I would suggest adding icing sugar to the lye water before you add the lye.

SM3 numbers.
5.7 hardness
3.3 fluffy lather
7.6 stable lather
7.8 moisturizing
Kellie
Kellie

http://www.forgetmenotsoapshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Thank you so much Kellie... of course I don't mind... Wink I couldn't be happier... if I could have checked it out I would have... hehe!! Thank you so much!

I am going to be making a balm with some of my students as a summer class activity... I might be holding back on the Cacao butter as I don't have a lot of it still and replace it with Stearic acid... that also makes it very slightly harder and more creamy bubbles that cacao Butter that has a very high stearic acid content along with palmitic content I suppose...

I will try the sugar for sure...!!

riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by NewAge Nana Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:54 pm

I did the same as Kellie (plugged it into SM3) before I scrolled down to see that she had already done that, lol. From what I can tell it apprears to be a very nice, gentle and moisturizing, safe bar for a baby.

NewAge Nana

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks Donna... I was unsure at first of adding the touch of CO but I think it just gives the soap a little more balance... if that makes sense... I only had soapcalc to go on so thank you so much for checking it out on SM3...

I was playing around with leaving it unscented or using lavender and geranium... either one of those or in a blend...

they are both gentle and good EO's so I think that'll be also baby safe... I made a blend with frankinsense and geranium before that I really liked... but I'm not sure how frankinsense EO behaves in soap...
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum