Soaper's Crafts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pectin Method

4 posters

Go down

The Pectin Method Empty The Pectin Method

Post by NewAge Nana Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Has anyone made liquid soap using this method? I made a small (16 oz) batch a few days ago and was very pleased with results. And it was so easy and FUN!! I think I'm hooked now and may probably never bother with the long process of making it with KOH Smile

NewAge Nana

Back to top Go down

The Pectin Method Empty Re: The Pectin Method

Post by riaan Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Donna, I've never tried it...

can you maybe share a link or description...?

I did find this though and it might be interesting... pectin causes a drop in the pH of the soap... It could be lowering the pH of the soap when using it... I wonder if you can measure whether that actually happens... what is the pH of the recipe with all ingredients added before and after adding pectin and how does it change over time...

it should lower the pH over time...

I was just curious after reading this PDF... sorry I don't want to hijack the thread... this is a little off topic...

Pectin use in cosmetics

it also has some other applications in lotions and skin care products concerning the acid mantle and other uses mentioned here... I have just quickly scanned this document....
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by NewAge Nana Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Riaan,
Thank you for the link. It's fascinating reading.
I've only just started with this method. Yesterday being my first small (16 oz) batch. So I've not really been able to test the ph "over time" yet. And I really don't have a reliable means of testing (only ph test strips). I tested the finished soap with a strip and it tested at a ph of 8. Which I really do not believe to be true. So, I need to get a better means to test with. In the mean time, I'm having fun experimenting in small batches with this method.

NewAge Nana

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:55 pm

It sounds really interesting...! I'd love to see pics of the texture/thickness of the soap that it makes... would it gel up thicken if left standing?
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by NewAge Nana Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:29 pm

The batch that I made was just from my bucket of mixed shreads. So it wasn't a "controlled" experiment by any means. I can't begin to tell you what all it had in it as far as ingredients go. I know that it had some GM in it, and probably some silk, some oxide, maybe some TD and several different FO/EO's. And I accidentally cooked it a bit too long I think. But it did thicken up even more as it cooled. And the milk solids floated to the top causing separation that no matter how much I SB'ed, shook, or stirred, it would still just separate again. So, the next batch will be a "controlled" batch. And I will keep notes on what happens.

NewAge Nana

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:37 pm

I'd love to see what you think and how it behaves when standing... would this need any preservative... I know we are back on that... if soap needs preservative... but this has a high water % so might that be a good idea...? I think cream soap needs a preservative... at least when you are gonna sell it...
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by NewAge Nana Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:55 pm

I won't add a preservative for the test batches that I use here at home. But if I ever end up with a formula that I'm comfortable enough to sell I would absolutely use a preservative.

NewAge Nana

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Donna. Did you see the lotion recipe on the pectin link i gave. . . They used sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate as what i assume is a preservative combination. . . just am interesting combination and i wondered about that. . . Wonder how good it is. . .

Last edited by riaan on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I typed on my phone last night before bed and it went all wonky with spelling... hehe)
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellie Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:55 pm

That looks like a very cool thing to try Donna..
Kellie
Kellie

http://www.forgetmenotsoapshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SilverMaple Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:47 pm

I will be watching this!
SilverMaple
SilverMaple

http://www.silvermaplesoaps.etsy.com

Back to top Go down