Soaper's Crafts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SA Nostalgia.... Bobotie... Traditional South African Dish

Go down

SA Nostalgia.... Bobotie... Traditional South African Dish Empty SA Nostalgia.... Bobotie... Traditional South African Dish

Sorry for doing this to you all...

another South African Recipe... I found on the internet because I can't call my mom now for her recipe or she'd kill me... international time difference... Try it... adjust it to taste this is food for the gods...!! well if the gods were South African at least... Wink

Instead of meatloaf why not try this one day?

Bobotie

No self respecting South African housewife does not own (and treasure!) a favourite bobotie recipe.

* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 onions, peeled and sliced
* 2 1/4 pounds good quality lean ground beef
* 1 thickish slice of white bread
* 1 cup milk
* 1 tablespoon medium curry powder (or hot for the hale and brave)
* 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* freshly grated pepper (about a half teaspoon)
* 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
* 1 1/2 tablespoons malt vinegar
* 1/2 cup seedless raisins
* 2 tablespoons strong chutney
* 2 bay leaves (or fresh lemon leaves if available)
* 2 medium eggs

METHOD

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Heat oil in medium sauté pan. Stir in onions. Cook over medium heat until transparent. Add ground beef. Cook until lightly browned and crumbly.

Soak bread in half the milk, squeeze out excess milk and mash with a fork - DON'T TOSS SQUEEZED OUT MILK! Pour it straight back into remaining milk. Set milk aside, and ad pulled-apart bread to the meat mixture.

Add curry, sugar, salt, pepper, turmeric, vinegar, raisins, chutney to the beef mixture. Spoon the mixture into a greased baking dish, and place bay leaves on top.

Bake for 50-60 minutes in preheated 350°F oven.

Beat egg with remaining milk and pour over mixture approximately 25 - 30 minutes before end of baking time.

Serve with steamed rice (traditionally yellow!) and extra chutney.

Pure South African comfort food! Especially nice in winter, or cold with a salad in summer.

Serves: 6

No Idea where you might get Chutney but that really makes this dish... yellow rice is rice flavored with turmeric...

ok chutney recipe... also found online...

you can make with any available fruit...

This easy South African Fruit Chutney recipe is one of the simplest I've come across, and is well worth the slight effort taken to prepare it.

CHUTNEY INGREDIENTS

· 1 lb brown sugar
· ½ lb dried pears
· ½ lb dried apricots
· ½ lb dates
· ½ lb dried apple rings
· ½ lb sultanas
· 4 cups water
· 1 clove garlic, crushed
· 2 cups cider vinegar
· ½ tsp chili powder
· ½ tsp turmeric
· ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
· ½ tsp freshly ground ginger

To make the CHUTNEY

Chop all the dried fruit except the sultanas.
Place the fruit and water into a large mixing bowl, cover and leave overnight.
Do not drain the fruit. Add the remaining ingredients place in a heavy bottomed saucepan.

Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved.
Bring to the boil and then lower the heat.
Allow to simmer, uncovered, for approximately 1½ hours, or until thick. Stir occasionally.

Pour the Chutney mixture into sterilized jars whilst still hot. Fill to ½ inch below the top. Cover with an airtight, plastic lid. Do not use a metal lid, because the action of the spices and vinegar will cause corrosion.

Leave the chutney to mature in a cool, dark, dry place for 6-8 weeks before use.

This fruit chutney may be used in particular with curries, but also with any dish, which has rice as an accompaniment Can also be used to tasty up pasta dishes.

If you've never tried Fruit Chutney and cheddar cheese as a sandwich combination you're in for a taste treat.

I want my momma's food!! SA Nostalgia.... Bobotie... Traditional South African Dish 142179
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit