Soaper's Crafts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...

+6
ukihunter
Kellie
Topcat
Admin
Saltysteele
riaan
10 posters

Go down

Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...  Empty Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...

Post by riaan Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:56 pm

Susan and i have been talking quite a bit about what we were thinking the reasons were for getting milder soaps after longer cure times...

It has been fun and we have found a number of very cool online articles... I can't wait to share... eventually I will hopefully get to it... in the meantime it would be cool to also get other members' thoughts on this...
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...  Empty Re: Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...

Post by Saltysteele Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:59 pm

i've got a theory in my head..... it's a long ways from my head to the fingertips, though. don't even know how to explain it, other than it gives the molecules to finish aligning. see, still couldn't make it an "ah ha moment" Smile
Saltysteele
Saltysteele

Back to top Go down

Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...  Empty Re: Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...

Post by riaan Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:16 pm

hmmm... we might be heading in the same direction... we found some articles on the different soap structures that form in soap at different conditions... temp and concentration... will post soon... this will be fun mate!!
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:17 pm

i can't wait to see your theory finally out of your head... Wink
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Saltysteele Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:31 pm

lmao

there's a lot of fuzz and filler to fish it through Laughing
Saltysteele
Saltysteele

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:59 pm

you'll have to dust it and put it through the wringer... Laughing
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://soaperscrafts.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:51 pm

I am looking forward to seeing what you have to share Riaan. My only thought is that soap is the opposite of cheese....cheese gets stronger as it ages Razz
Topcat
Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellie Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:22 pm

I like Bret's theory that the molecules align as it cures. I try to keep 1 bar of soap from each batch to compare to a just cured for 6 weeks bar. There is really such a difference, I cannot explain it, but I can feel it.
Kellie
Kellie

http://www.forgetmenotsoapshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ukihunter Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:04 pm

I love these topics! We need more so I can learn more. If everyone one of us shared our experiences maybe we can find a common factor.

To me, cure time has always been more than the evaporation of water. The soap will rehydrate but the "mildness" we feel is still there so it must be something else.

Can't wait til Rvan puts it all together (in english Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...  Icon_biggrin ) for us!

ukihunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellie Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:48 pm

I agree with you. I also think that the soap molecules don't align quite as nicely in a soap with a steep water discount, which leads me to think it really is the oils and waters melding and truly becoming one mild and wonderful bar of soap.
Kellie
Kellie

Back to top Go down

Post by beachbabiesbath Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...  800334 You all lose me in these conversations, but I love to read em
beachbabiesbath
beachbabiesbath

http://www.beachbabiesbath.com

Back to top Go down

Post by funlovingfraggle Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Topcat wrote: My only thought is that soap is the opposite of cheese....cheese gets stronger as it ages Razz

Ahh but does the lather not get stronger?

Kellie wrote:I also think that the soap molecules
don't align quite as nicely in a soap with a steep water discount, which
leads me to think it really is the oils and waters melding and truly
becoming one mild and wonderful bar of soap.

I totally agree Kellie!!

funlovingfraggle

Back to top Go down

Post by Billie U Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am

beachbabiesbath wrote:Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...  800334 You all lose me in these conversations, but I love to read em

I was thinking this but didn't post it. Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...  Icon_tongue

Billie U

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:54 am

hehe... that smiley cracks me up and so do you guys...!!

Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...  364108 this one too!! but i suppose it is when the adequate response would have been horse manure!!

hehe!
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by funlovingfraggle Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:25 pm

rvan wrote:hehe... that smiley cracks me up and so do you guys...!!

Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...  364108 this one too!! but i suppose it is when the adequate response would have been horse manure!!

hehe!

or that the person was speaking through their ass Increase in mildness of CP soaps after cure...  747727

funlovingfraggle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellie Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:07 am

LOl I love that emoticon...
Kellie
Kellie

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:36 am

he he he. . . like that one. . .!
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellie Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:26 am

yep made me lol..!!
Kellie
Kellie

Back to top Go down

Post by SilverMaple Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:52 pm

I can't wait to read what you have.

And on the water discount -- I don't use one very often. I made my regular goat's milk soap recipe for a long time with full water, then on the recommendation of another soaper, started doing water discounts and wasn't really happy with the results. I gave out 1/2 bar samples of one vs. the other to about a dozen people and ALL preferred the soap made with full water, even though they were made within a week of each other, both unfragranced, identical recipes, etc. That sold me on letting time do the work and not trying to rush the process with shortcuts.
SilverMaple
SilverMaple

http://www.silvermaplesoaps.etsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellie Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:32 pm

I am glad you posted that Beth. I thought I was missing something, or the only one who didn't like discounting the water. I much prefer to use full water or milk and let the soap do it's thing for 6 weeks.
Kellie
Kellie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum