Soaper's Crafts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What causes separation in soap...?

5 posters

Go down

What causes separation in soap...? Empty What causes separation in soap...?

Post by riaan Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Major disaster from the other night...

I had goats milk in my soap... coconut milk and cucumber...

It heated up pretty fast in the mold and not long after I poured it it had already started to separate... did I simply not blend it well enough? funny it got really thick before I poured it and it still separated...

with people watching and talking and everything else... was I just distracted? I poured two small single bars in single molds and they were fine... the soap left in pot were beautiful... then why is the soap in the mold such a mess...

hehe! sorry guys... trying to make sense of this latest disaster... any ideas on the whys and possibilities are very welcome...

What causes separation in soap...? 95531
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

What causes separation in soap...? Empty Re: What causes separation in soap...?

Post by beachbabiesbath Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Whenever my batter seperates it is because I did not blend it good enough. I just dump it out of the mold and sb the crap out of it again. Sometimes I dont know it is going to do that beacuase it is nice and thick and looks perfect til its in the mold and starts seperating. Sorry this happened to ya.
beachbabiesbath
beachbabiesbath

http://www.beachbabiesbath.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Saltysteele Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:46 pm

i agree with Billie. I've had soap that got thick, but it was from the EO/FO, and not the soaps actually saponifying. so, when i poured it, it quickly separated Sad
Saltysteele
Saltysteele

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:07 pm

I have had that happen when my soap batch overheated Riaan.....so many variables! Fruits, veges and milks can contribute to overheating.
Topcat
Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks you guys... I guess I'm wondering about what it all could have been... overheating... or as you say just not beating it enough... not nice if it isn't your place you're working in... feel as if you don't want to make a mess... hehe!... maybe I was too careful...
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellie Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:08 pm

The only time I ever had separation , it was a heat issue,it was an OMH it separated and burnt it got so hot.
Kellie
Kellie

http://www.forgetmenotsoapshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:03 am

I suspect heat as it got quite hot quite fast... if I was home and it wasn't a class I could have rescued it on the spot... as it was it was part of a demonstration and I needed to carry on with the rest of class... it was also at somebody else's house... oh well... I have to get that soap back to my house somehow... separated or not to try and rebatch and rescue... I loved the feel of little bits off the soap pot... can't throw it away... can you imagine me with 2kg's of soap bagged on the metro and on a scooter on my way back home... ?
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by beachbabiesbath Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:28 am

On the Metro and on the scooter. I love the way you live and where you live. You are so lucky! Wish I was living anywhere but in the US right now, Economy wise speaking.
beachbabiesbath
beachbabiesbath

http://www.beachbabiesbath.com

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:00 am

Billy, I sometimes think of the weird and wonderful way I live now... remember where I am from... It is such a long way from a farm in Africa... funny that wherever you land feels just like any other after a while... Wink you have to really step back sometimes to still see the wonder...
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down