Soaper's Crafts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i was given. . . breast milk soap

+5
cwayneu
Topcat
Billie U
cookiechan
riaan
9 posters

Go down

i was given. . . breast milk soap Empty i was given. . . breast milk soap

Post by riaan Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:43 am

i was very kindly given a bar of breast milk soap. . . By one of my students who recently had a baby. . . I think one has to appreciate the speciality of this product. . . She made it especially for using it on her baby. . . in it she also used organic tea seed oil locally grown. . . So it is really formulated with a mother's love. . . while initially sceptical i had tried it and found it to be a beautiful bar of soap. . . very mild and soft. . . i will post pictures of the bar soon . . .
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

i was given. . . breast milk soap Empty Re: i was given. . . breast milk soap

Post by cookiechan Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:34 am

Interesting... I wonder how it differs from goat's milk or cow milk in soap.

cookiechan

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:51 am

I have tried it but to still take pictures later to post here I haven't suds-ed up too much... wanna take pics when my camera returns from its holiday in Thailand... will post some pics and let you see .... maybe some other peeps had tried it before...
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Billie U Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:11 pm

If you can get past the thought of where it comes from, I would think it is probably no different than using other milks. It probably doesn't make it through saponification but it is full of nutrients. I'm not sure about the fat content though.

Billie U

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:28 pm

The tea seed oil is amazing in soap Riaan and any milk I have tried is lovely Smile
Topcat
Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by cwayneu Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Billie U wrote:If you can get past the thought of where it comes from, I would think it is probably no different than using other milks. It probably doesn't make it through saponification but it is full of nutrients. I'm not sure about the fat content though.

OK honey, can we make some of this soap tonight? i was given. . . breast milk soap Icon_lol
cwayneu
cwayneu
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funlovingfraggle Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Well .. Breast Milk is much sweeter than any other milk I have tasted - goat, cow, soy, coconut, almond, so I imagine it would help with bubble factor, and like the rest improve the emollient ratio/mildness of the bar ..

I don't see how one could judge it without comparing similar milk bars made with the same formula and SF% though ..

I'd personally LOVE to try BM soap, but alas those days have passed before I took up the hobby i was given. . . breast milk soap Icon_rolleyes

funlovingfraggle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellie Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:57 pm

I would too Clear, I should have asked my dd to freeze me some??? I still could..
You could ask Mrs. Duggar for some she has a deep freeze full Razz
Kellie
Kellie

http://www.forgetmenotsoapshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by funlovingfraggle Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:04 pm

I had to google the name and Oh My, err, umm, Extreme Much ?!

funlovingfraggle

Back to top Go down

Post by beachbabiesbath Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:51 pm

I love the idea of bm soap if I know who the bm is coming from!! LOL
beachbabiesbath
beachbabiesbath

http://www.beachbabiesbath.com

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:07 pm

hehe... i know... it is something to get your head around isn't it... but do you really know the cow who's milk your drinking? Laughing i am somewhere in the middle on this... honestly i am still a little resistant... but then we all know what lye does to these ingredients... so i might just see it as my next challenge and try it!! bounce
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:10 pm

cwayneu wrote:
Billie U wrote:If you can get past the thought of where it comes from, I would think it is probably no different than using other milks. It probably doesn't make it through saponification but it is full of nutrients. I'm not sure about the fat content though.

OK honey, can we make some of this soap tonight? i was given. . . breast milk soap Icon_lol

Wayne how did i miss your post... i read from the bottom up and then suddenly exploded... luckily without drinking at the time...!!

LMAO!! i was given. . . breast milk soap 378843
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by cwayneu Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:14 pm

I be a naughty boy. i was given. . . breast milk soap Icon_rabbit
cwayneu
cwayneu
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SilverMaple Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:55 pm

I made a batch of mare's milk soap, and it was fabulous; lather was creamier than goat's milk, but it was gently soothing and had a faint sweet aroma which I'm guessing may be from the mare's diet of alfalfa hay, grass, and sweet feed grain. And I did a batch of Breast Milk soap for a friend after she had her baby. It really was a very nice soap; mild, bubbly, and so nice on the skin. She loved it for herself and her infant.
SilverMaple
SilverMaple

http://www.silvermaplesoaps.etsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cwayneu Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:44 am

We just saw an episode of Dirty Jobs, and Mike Rowe spent the day at a camel farm. They "claimed" that camels milk is very close to human breast milk. Who knew... i was given. . . breast milk soap Icon_biggrin
cwayneu
cwayneu
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:17 pm

I had it my mind that donkey's milk was also very good... an alternative to children with allergies etc to cow's milk...

some interesting info at wikipedia...

Donkeys milk now where to find them donkeys... Wink

or a camel for that matter...

Beth... Is it difficult to milk a mare? Sorry I'm not really familiar with horses...

I was really surprised at how many people can simply not wrap their heads around breast milk soap... I suppose if I'm honest even I have a certain wall to get over... but I will try it... I want to make some definitely for the experience and curiosity for sure... but at my school too many people simply thought it odd... I suppose it will only ever be a very niche product... made special for friends or family for their children and themselves...

I have some milk in the freezer and I am waiting for time to get soaping... hopefully soon...
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by SilverMaple Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Lol, milking a mare is not hard once you get the hang of it. Of course, a placid, trusting mare is ideal as the position puts you in a great position to enter orbit if she objects. :-) When we had mares and foals here, we'd routinely milk a mare with an overabundance of colostrum and freeze it in the event we had a foal who didn't receive it for one reason or another, and I had a big Quarter Horse mare for several years who produced so much milk we'd have to milk her a couple of times a day when she was nursing for her own comfort as there was no way her foal could use it all. A neighbor lost a mare soon after foaling one spring and came over twice a day to get milk to bottle-feed the orphan and she still had too much!

I made the mare's milk soap a couple of years ago. I'd like to do it again; maybe next spring when our friends' mares foal.
SilverMaple
SilverMaple

http://www.silvermaplesoaps.etsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:01 pm

that is such an interesting story. . . I grew up on a farm. . . never had mares with foals though. . . i 'd love to see and hear of this soap. . . I really miss farm life. . . The older i get the more so. . .
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by cookiechan Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:34 pm

riaan wrote:
I have some milk in the freezer and I am waiting for time to get soaping... hopefully soon...

I thought you meant breast milk in tbe freezer! i was given. . . breast milk soap Affraid I was wondering why you would have that... Oh, wait... what kind of milk do you have in the freezer? i was given. . . breast milk soap Icon_wink

cookiechan

Back to top Go down

Post by funlovingfraggle Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:26 pm

cookiechan wrote:
riaan wrote:

I thought you meant breast milk in tbe freezer! i was given. . . breast milk soap Affraid I was wondering why you would have that... Oh, wait... what kind of milk do you have in the freezer? i was given. . . breast milk soap Icon_wink

I do believe it's the real deal - Riaan knows more about BM than me now-a-days! (and I used to qualify as a wet-nurse) i was given. . . breast milk soap Icon_lol

funlovingfraggle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kellie Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:35 am

LOL me too Clear, a very wet-nurse.Back in the day, you could donate any extra to the NICU, I donated many a quart.
Kellie
Kellie

http://www.forgetmenotsoapshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:27 am

hehe!... maybe i should let you all simmer on the type of milk I have awaiting in the freezer... i was given. . . breast milk soap 441188 i shall leave it at don't ask if you don't really want to know... hehe!!! I have been commissioned to make a baby gentle soap...

now it is to formulate the thing... Wink
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by riaan Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:39 am

funlovingfraggle wrote:
cookiechan wrote:
riaan wrote:

I do believe it's the real deal - Riaan knows more about BM than me now-a-days! (and I used to qualify as a wet-nurse) i was given. . . breast milk soap Icon_lol

you made me laugh...!! i was given. . . breast milk soap 378843 the milk maybe but not much more...
riaan
riaan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down